Some 48 hours ago, I started a survey on intellectual property, P2P and piracy (forgot to add: there’s some focus on Singapore!), for my university project. Though some questions admittedly could have been better phrased / organized / improved options, about 150 of you have responded.
Here are some preliminary results based on 150 complete responses (all percentages are approximated):
Questions 1 – 7:
- 56% of respondents were 19-25 years old, with 27% aged 26-35.
- 51% were students, while 25% were IT professionals.
- The respondents mostly downloaded free (as in any type of "free", be it legal or otherwise) software (82% of all respondents), music (70%), movies (49%) and literary works (45%).
- 48% thought that patents encouraged innovations, most understood plagiarism (79%), and 81% regarded plagiarism as serious, so most (94%) would quote a paragraph and give credits, or rewrite in their own words.
Currently, the survey is still on, so please head on to the survey page (3 pages with 26 questions in total) hosted at SurveyGizmo if you haven’t done so. There is still enough quota for about a hundred more responses for a free account. Personally, I find SurveyGizmo a pretty good deal considering its feature set as compared to other online survey sites.
Thanks to all in advance.
Edit: The survey has been closed. Thank you all who have responded!
Excerpt of results:
- What is your age?
- 19 – 25 years -> 53%
- 26 – 35 years -> 30%
- 36 – 45 years -> 6%
- 13 – 18 years -> 5%
- More than 45 years old -> 5%
- What is your occupation?
- Student -> 49%
- IT Professional -> 28%
- Others -> 14%
- Engineer -> 5%
- Unemployed -> 4%
- What do you download off the internet for free? Check all that applies.
- Software -> 84%
- Music -> 70%
- Movies -> 49%
- Literary Works (e-books, journals, etc) -> 44%
- Anime -> 19%
- Others -> 13%
- A patent is a monopoly right given by the Government to the owner of an invention to enable him to prevent others from using, copying or making his invention without his consent. Do you think patents encourage innovations? 1 being extremely disagree and 5 being extremely agree.
- 4 -> 39%
- 3 -> 24%
- 2 -> 20%
- 1 -> 12%
- 5 -> 6%
- How much do you understand about plagiarism? 1 being none at all and 5 being fully understand.
- 5 -> 42%
- 4 -> 41%
- 3 -> 14%
- 2 -> 2%
- 1 -> 1%
- Plagiarism is the using of others’ work passing off as your own without acknowledging. How serious does plagiarism mean to you? 1 being not serious at all and 5 being extremely serious about it.
- 4 -> 51%
- 5 -> 32%
- 3 -> 12%
- 2 -> 4%
- 1 -> 1%
- How do you make use of online sources for your field of work?
- Quote a paragraph and give credits to it -> 53%
- Understand the essence of the paragraph and write it in your own words -> 42%
- Modify a quote marginally and claim it as yours -> 5%
- Copy and paste an entire paragraph into your assignment without referencing -> 1%
- What do you think are the factors that make people want to plagiarise? Check all that applies.
- Lazy to write in your own words -> 78%
- Last minute work -> 63%
- Want a higher score -> 46%
- Poor command of language -> 44%
- Lack of confidence in writing -> 43%
- Others -> 19%